Thursday 6 December 2007

Memory through sound or images?

I've been thinking about sound because recently I've been listening a lot more to the radio rather than watching TV. I've found that radio programs stick much better in my memory than TV programs. I think it may have to do with the fact that when you listen rather than watch, you create your own images. But maybe it's just because we are so used to visual information and are slightly overloaded with this form of information. I was wondering if I could build this idea into my project in some way, perhaps I need to research if there is any truth in this or if it is only my experience that sound is more effective in terms of memorising than visuals. Maybe each individual remembers things differently. I've always wondered if some people memorise more in images, and some people memorise more in sounds, words or numbers. Either way this subject relates well to the idea of how our brain works in terms of how we memorise.

2 comments:

Claire said...

It's an interesting question that I have never really thought about....I think you ought to test it on a few people if you want answers!

Have a look at this sound memory game from the Paris Science Museum. It isn audio version of the game 'Pairs', a memory game where you have say 200 tiles, showing 100 images, so each image is represnted twice. All are scattered about face down, and you take it in turns to turn two over and try and get a pair. Then you keep the pair of you get one,or turn the tiles back down.

Maybe you could get peopl eto play the audio game, and then create your own version of pairs that uses the same number of tiles and levels as the audio game, so it's fair, and test which one get's the best results.

I think it's also worth considering that people are more willing to listen to a song hundreds of times, because of the memories it can trigger (and the imagery it can generate to I suppose), than they are to watch a movie say 50 times, becuase it gets too boring.

SV said...

Okay using claire's example to test our memeory of sounds has just proved to me that it isn't easy to remember sounds unless it is the sound of actual word. It took me 11 tries just to get through the first level, Im sure I could have done this a hundred times better if it had been images. I used to be the master of the game memory when I was a kid. Interesting that it is usually kids who wins when playing memory.